Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Banana Nut Bread

I have a recipe card for banana nut bread from long long ago. Where I got it from, no one knows. But the Mister really likes it.


The Mister loves banana nut bread. And since there were a few very ripe bananas laying around, I thought I'd make a couple of loaves for him. (Ain't I sweet and thoughtful? hehe)

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts , toasted and chopped
3 very ripe bananas, mashed completely
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use non-fat)
2 large eggs
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Grease a 9" loaf pan. I use Pam because it's simple and quick.

Position oven rack to lower position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and walnut together in large bowl. Set aside.

Mix mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla in medium bowl.

Fold banana mixture into dry ingredients until just combined. The batter will be thick. Put batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes until loaf is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. It takes about 60 minutes in my oven.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Then remove the loaf from the pan and finish cooling on the cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. The Mister likes to butter his. I store the extra in an airtight container, which will keep for about 3 days. I haven't tried freezing it yet but since I made 2 loaves this time, I might have to try it unless the Mister is a total pig about it. (ssshhhh, don't tell him I said that).

Hope everyone got what everything they wished for from Santa. I did!

No comments: