Friday, February 29, 2008

Butter Lettuce Avocado Salad with Citrus Dressing

This recipe was inspired by a salad recipe I saw using lime juice. I made some adjustments to the ingredients and I used juice from Meyer lemons since I still have so many on the tree. The combination of the butter lettuce with avocado and citrus sounded really refreshing and it turned out great. Butter lettuce is also known as Boston lettuce.

Salad:
1 medium head Butter lettuce, discard any wilted leaves
1 large Haas avocado, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
1 scallion, thinly sliced
Cilantro leaves, finely chopped (I used about a tablespoonful)

Dressing:
1 Meyer lemon, juiced
Zest from Meyer lemon (I think the zest really added to the overall flavor)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar (I used 2 packs of Splenda)
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard

Rinse the individual leaves gently under cold water and lay out on clean towels to dry. I hand ripped the lettuce leaves to minimized bruising. Gave it a quick spin in a salad spinner.

Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.

Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate and top with the avocado wedges, scallion, and cilantro. Finish with a healthy drizzling of the dressing.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Have a wonderful Aloha Friday and a great weekend. Now go and eat well.

No comments: