Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day is Lei Day

I loved May Day when I was a kid. The schools would plan for days for May Day Celebration. Family and friends would come and watch all the songs and dances from each class. My mom would always take that day off from work to come see my school's performances. I remember climbing those gigantic plumeria trees in the back courtyard the day before to make leis for my Mom and me to wear. If I close my eyes, I can still smell the scented air from those trees.


The first Lei Day was held on May 1, 1928 and the phrase "Lei Day is May Day" was coined by Grace Tower Warren. It was made an official holiday in 1929 in the territory (before Hawaii achieved statehood in 1959 as the 50th State in U.S.). Did you know that each Island has its own lei? You can read all about it here.

If you're lucky to be on O'ahu today, stop by Kapi‘olani Park for the Lei Day Celebration. If you're into making leis, it might not be too late to enter the lei contest (rules here). You can also check Honolulu.gov for more Lei Day celebration information.

Happy Lei Day, everyone!

No comments: