Friday, August 24, 2007

Ka Lokomaika'i and a Smorgasbord of Things

Aloha Friday everyone! I didn't have a chance to post yesterday cuz I was busy working (really, no lie). So I have some catching up to do. Since it's Aloha Friday, thought I'd talk a little bit about ka lokomaika'i. Lokomaika'i literally means "inside" or "heart" (loko) and "good" (maika'i). Ka lokomaika'i is what's good inside us. That is, someone with lokomaikai'i is giving, has good will, good disposition, generosity, grace, and kindness. It is the foundation of Aloha Spirit.

(Aloha spirit? You mean something like Duke Kahanamoku's ghost coming back to San Diego shores and kicking the okoles of those stupid surfers with attitude?) Nah, but that would be interesting to see. In order to fully understand Aloha Spirit, you need to know how the word Aloha came about. (Oh, you mean like "hello, goodbye, love.") Sort of. Let me elaborate.

The literal meaning of aloha is “the presence of breath” or “the breath of life.” Traditional greeting of touching foreheads and saying Aloha was a symbol of exchanging the breath of life. Aloha is about sending and receiving positive energy. (Now that's Zen!) Well, not really.

Aloha is all of the following:
Akahai = kindness, to be expressed with tenderness
Lokahi = unity, to be expressed with harmony
Oluolu = agreeable, to be expressed with pleasantness
Haahaa = humility, to be expressed with modesty
Ahonui = patience, to be expressed with perseverance

Aloha Spirit is how we should live our lives and treat one another. I think it's one of the things why I love Hawaii so much. And everytime I go back, I feel the same harmony and sense of being that I felt as a child growing up there (probably as Zen as I'll ever get). But you don't have to live on the islands to know the feeling. The Mister feels it everytime he's there and it's why so many people go there every year. I also think it's the Aloha Spirit that creates an instant bond between displaced Islanders.

I think that's why I get so excited when I find things that remind me of Hawaii, like a new plate lunch place. (Oh oh, here she goes about food.) That's right, folks! Can't talk about Aloha Friday without talking about food!

So...yesterday, I met three of my friends at Mo's Island Grinds for lunch. Check out Kirk of mmm-yoso!!! 's numerous reviews of Mo's. In my opinion, this is the best plate lunch place in San Diego. But I add the caveat that I have not been to every plate lunch place in San Diego.

I had my usual Korean combo plate. This was the first visit for my friend, B, so she decided to try the Korean combo too (maybe cuz I already started drooling before I even got up to the counter to order). My other friend, N, also ordered the combo and "99" (my 3rd friend) ordered the kalua pork. 99 normally orders the loco moco (he's a loco moco fiend) but Mo's was out of the steak patties yesterday. The Korean combo comes with 3 kalbi cross ribs, Korean chicken, a nice dipping sauce for the chicken, rice, and choice of salad or macaroni salad. The kalua pork plate came with rice and choice of salad or macaroni salad. I always get the salad (not a huge mac salad fan) with the Oriental dressing (yummy).

The feedback:
The Korean chicken was perfectly cooked! Crunchy outside, chicken tender and juicy inside. The batter had the perfect touch of spiciness that makes it so addictive. Both B and N agreed it was good. B thought it looked like too much food but it was so good, she ate the whole thing (well, most of it). N, as usual, devoured his lunch. 99 said the kalua pork was the best he's ever had. I'm usually not a big kalua pork fan because I find most ones I've tried were either too dry, too much artificial smoke flavor, too bland, or a combination of these things. But I have to agree that I think Mo's kalua pork is pretty good (I've snuck a taste from another friend's plate once). N got the macaroni salad with his combo but he was less than thrilled with it, too bland. 99 said he wasn't a big fan of it either and usually get the salad. Think N will be getting the salad from now on. N also told me that he brought his wife to Mo's and she just loved it! Yup, everyone I've taken to Mo's raves about the food.

Ah...a very good lunch indeed; good food, good friends, good conversation. One of the topics we talked about was barefoot running. N and B were both really interested although both still skeptical. I don't blame them because barefoot running is still somewhat of an enigma, although mainstream is starting to take notice. I mean, when Nike introduces a shoe line (Nike Free) that promotes barefoot running, you know it's hit maintstream.

As with all physical activities, I cautioned them that they have to start slow, especially anyone with weak or fallen arches, or any kind of foot or leg joint problems. Start slow, build up foot muscles, educate about barefoot running (Barefoot Rick's is a good place to start; or Ken Saxton's site, a lot of information there), and above all, be safe and smart about it.

Which reminds me, the Mister has really taken an interest in my barefoot running. So much that he's going to try the Pose Technique. He's not planning on going barefoot but he will be getting one of the running shoes recommended on Pose Tech's website. As a matter of fact, we're going to meet for lunch at UTC and pop over to Foot Locker to look at some shoes for him. He also ordered the Pose book and dvd so I'll post a review once we get it.

So I'll wrap up with a quick summary of yesterday's running. I cut down 2 whole minutes on my time. I'm down to about a 25-minute mile right now, that's including walking to warm up and cool down. My goal for the next couple of weeks is to get down to an 18-minute mile, straight running. Happy to report that I had no blisters or sore spots on the feet again. Hope this continues to be the trend as I increase speed and distance.

Have a wonderful Friday, koʻu hoaloha! A hui ho, go and eat well.

2 comments:

KirkK said...

She finished the entire plate? I can't finish an entire plate of food from there! That is some healthy apettite.

CAB said...

Okay, maybe I might have exaggerated a tad that she ate the whole thing. But she made a huge dent, more than I did. But then I was doing most of the talking. Besides, she's from Texas and they do things in grand form! Now the ones with the healthiest appetite were my other 2 friends. I think they really did eat the whole thing. At least they were done before I was. Again, I was doing all the talking.

Isn't it great having lunch with people with healthy appetites and who share the same zest for food as you? Makes the food all that much betta!