Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wilbur's Secret Recipes

Once again the Union Tribune has provided today's blog topic, food recipes (surprise, surprise). Just as well since I don't have much to report in the way of barefoot running since yesterday's run was a quick one. The Mister did receive the Pose Method book and DVD but has not had the time to provide a review yet. But that's to come. Okay, back to the food.

The article is about Todd Wilbur and his quest to "clone" brand name recipes. For food fanatics like me, just the thought to be able to reproduce some favorite brand name foods can send me into a dizzy. Just recently, I made my own buckeye candy for the first time. I had my first buckeye candy in the 80's. They were part of a gift basket and I have been hooked on them ever since. It wasn't until about 10 years ago when a woman I worked with made buckeyes for me that I realized, hey! I can make these little balls of creamy heaven (can you tell I really love these?).

So what are these little balls of creamy heaven, you ask? These ambrosial spheres of happiness that makes my eyes glaze over and do my best Homer Simpson imitation? Buckeyes are round, delectable balls of peanut butter covered in chocolate. (Mmm, buckeyes!) These are named for it's resemblance to the poisonous fruit of the Buckeye tree, Ohio's state tree. So what does buckeye candy have to do with brand name foods? It's because the batch I made tasted just like (and I think better) than a REESE'S ® Peanut Butter Cup, one of my all-time favorite brand name candy.

So it's easy for me to see why Wilbur's quest is so appealing to so many consumers. Apparently his website gets 3-4 million hits a day. He has authored several best selling cookbooks (move over Rachael Ray) and offers free weekly recipes on his website. Want to do something cool and fun with the kids over this sweltering Labor Day weekend? Make some 7-eleven ® cherry slurpees using Wilbur's recipe. Want to grill up something different at your next bbq? How about Outback Steakhouse ® Outback Rack? Now don't get me wrong. Just because I have a recipe for Jack-in-the-Box ® tacos doesn't mean I'm going to make it and stop going to JitB. For 2 at 99 cents, it's hardly worth my effort (or the gas) to even make the trip to the grocery store. But for some other food items, it would be interesting to try to replicate them.

I think I'll put one of his cookbooks on my Christmas wish list. If only Wilbur would just recreate the recipe for the lobster tail from Bova's Bakery located in the North End of Boston, now that would be heaven! Hope you will find a recipe or two to inspire you in the kitchen. Now go and eat well.

No comments: