Friday, January 23, 2009

Monday on No Reservations - Azores (Preview)

Okay, all you Bourdainiers (I made that up), here's the sneak preview of the upcoming episode of No Reservations.

Tony will be visiting Azores, a cluster of Portuguese islands. I don't know much about Azores and only a smidgen familiarity with Portuguese cuisine so I think I'm really going to enjoy this episode.

Why Azores? Tony has worked in kitchens alongside many generations of Azorean Portuguese immigrants and decided it was time to find out more about their motherland and explore the culture that molded so much of New England's heritage. He'll be island hopping, dining on potatoes, pork, sausage, cabbage, shellfish, Portuguese soup and washing it all down with Gin and Tonics. Sounds pretty good, if you ask me! Sights include Furnas on Sao Miguel and one of the most remote locations in the world on Sao Jorge. Tony is also going to show us the beautiful wine making region of Pico.

I have to say that I'm really enjoy this new season of No Reservations.

The No Reservations Azores episode airs Monday, January 26 at 10pm EST on the Travel Channel.




Postscript: I forgot to mention that the influence of Portuguese cuisine is evident in many other places. Hawaiian regional cuisine for instance: Portuguese sausage, malasada's (ooooo, malasadas!), bean soup, sweet bread, and that's just to name a few. Dang, now I'm hungry.

Aloha Friday and have a terrific weekend!

2 comments:

imjustatree said...

i've heard so much about this show, so I'm going to start watching it now haha...how many seasons has it gone through?

CAB said...

Hi Sawyer! I think it's on its 5th season.

The Azores episode was pretty good. Funny, too. My favorite episodes are the ones in U.S. and Asia. Next week's episode is Chicago! I can't wait for that one.