Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wednesday Ramblings

Just a couple of quick things today. While reading WOW Grinds upcoming Best Kalbi Challenge (I can't wait to see the results!!!), I realized that I haven't had kalbi in a while, which is unsat! Mental note, make kalbi soon, like this weekend!

Anyway, I think I was drooling when I was reading about the challenge (can't wait to see the results! Awk! I'm repeating myself.) and if it's anything like their other challenges, it'll be awesome. I was glad to see Yummy Korean BBQ on the list and not surprised it had the most votes, #2 on my list for kalbi. I wasn't surprised one bit that my favorite didn't make it on the list. That's because I think Mark's Drive Inn (Aiea/Pearl City) is one of the best kept good cheap eats secret on Oahu. You won't find a lot of reviews about Mark's, as a matter of fact, there has only been 1 write-up that I've ever found dated back to 2002. A sample of the menu can be found here. Boy, reading all this stuff makes me long for the Islands. It's been way too long since we've been back. Sigh...

Other ramble, I made Thai fried chicken a few days ago and finally got a decent picture of it. Yum, I can almost smell them just by looking at the picture. I used a Dutch oven this time versus a cast iron skillet and the results were much better. The drumsticks cooked faster and the crust turned out better. I'm not exactly sure why but I'm guessing it has something to do with the walls of the DO. The Mister had similar results with his pork chops and agrees with me. Maybe the taller sides builds up more steam and/or keeps the temperature more consistent? Maybe it's along the same concept as Cook's Illustrated recommendation for putting the cover on while frying chicken. Either way, I think we'll stick with the DO for frying chicken from now on.

Well, that's about all for today. Hope everyone is have a good week. Friday can't come soon enough for me!

No comments: