Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year

Gong Xi Fa Cai! It's Chinese New Year and 2008 is the Year of the Rat.

As a kid, this was my second favorite holiday because of hong bao (red bags or envelopes) and all the food! The amount of money in red bags depended on how old I was and who it was from. I was born 11 days before Chinese New Year so my "lunar" birthday was often part of the family's New Year celebration until I reached teenage-hood.

There are a lot of traditions and superstition and practices related to Chinese New Year. Typically, I would make Chinese hot pot on the first day of the New Year. But this year, we're having dumplings. I hope everyone will be doing a little something to celebrate Chinese New Year today. Maybe wear something new, something red, and wish someone Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Now go and eat well.

No comments: