Monday, September 24, 2007

You're Getting Sleepy, Sleepy...

According to Reuters, not getting enough sleep can kill you (click here to read the article). Would you believe over 40% of the population in the U.S. get less than 5 hours of sleep?? That's just crazy. I'm one of those people who really need 8 hours of sleep each night to feel "refreshed" but I can easily sleep 9 hours. I used to have a VP that would only sleep 3-4 hrs a night. She said she only needed that much (little) sleep. Nice person, but nuts. She also drank a lot of coffee, all day long. That just can't be good for you.

Sleep must be big news right now because it even made it to the front page of today's Union Tribune. That article talks about naps. So would it be surprising that I enjoy naps, too? Heck, I'm yawning now as I'm typing. The problem I have with naps during the workday is that there's really no place for me to take the nap (unless I nap at my desk with my head on the table but think about that neck cramp when I wake up, and those sleep marks on my face, hehe). The only real alternative I have is to nap in my car. And maybe it's just me but I feel kind of silly laying out in my car, sleeping, in the parking lot, while other people are coming and going.

Let's face it. There's just a stigma about napping during work hours here in the U.S. What would people think if they walked by my office and I'm leaned back in my chair sleeping? Or worse yet, mouth open and snoring? Well, not that I snore. But you know what I mean. And not that I would care what people thought (cuz that's just not my style). But my point is, I think the stigma of "sleeping on the job" would prevent some people from taking a very beneficial (and probably much needed) nap. One of the article says sleeping enough even reduces irritability. Boy, what a little 20 minute nap would do for me right now.

Have a great week everyone.

No comments: