Friday, September 28, 2007

A Drizzly Aloha Friday in San Diego

Aloha Friday, hoaloha! Keeping in line of the Hawaiian theme, I thought I'd talk about a favorite Hawaiian dish, Kalua pork. Kalua pork is actually not a favorite of mine because, well, I just don't think I've had really good Kalua pork. And since my friend, 99, asked for Kalua pork for tomorrow's Halo 3 gathering, I thought I'd do a little write-up on it.

I have seen all sorts of various home recipes for it but I'm not a big fan of liquid smoke, nor do I want to dig a pit in my back yard (neighbors might get a wee bit annoyed, hehe). But OnMyPlate.org has a couple of recipes for making Kalua pork that sounds really interesting. Click here for the recipes. I might try the crockpot version if I can get my hands on some good apple cider from Julian.

As far as side dishes, I like sweet potatoes that are baked. But for a really good side dish, try candied yams. I also prefer to bake the yams if I have time rather than boiling them. Boiled yams tend to make the dish a little runny and I like to have a nice brown sugar crust.

Another side dish you can add to get that extra Hawaiian flare is chicken long rice. Here are a couple recipes:

Loco Kine Recipes
Ma'ona's Recipe

That's all I got for today. Gotta go do my little Aloha Friday dance now. Kipa hou mai (come visit again)! Have a great weekend; now go and eat well.

2 comments:

KirkK said...

"It's Aloha Friday, no work till Monday.
Doo be doo, doo doo be, doo be doo be doo be doo!" Or something like that......

Happy Aloha Friday!

CAB said...

Hi Kirk! That's pretty good! I'm really glad it's Friday. Hope you and your Missus had a great vacation and welcome back!